by Julie Neff
(Hamilton, Ohio, United States)
Puffy Pizza is a tasty, cheap, and very easy recipe that the whole family will love. It takes about 10 minutes to prep and 30 minutes in the oven and voila! you have a meal for the whole family. My family doesn't like many leftovers but this is one they love heated up the next day!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 (7.5 oz.)rolls of refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 can or jar of pizza sauce (around 14 oz. or more if you like a lot of sauce)
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small can of mushroom pieces and stems (mushrooms are a great addition that I use every time)
- pepperoni, olives, chopped onion, pineapple, bacon, or anything else you like on pizza
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 9 X 13 inch baking dish (I use Pam spray instead of grease or butter).
Brown ground beef with toppings like mushrooms and onions and drain grease. Stir in pizza sauce and other toppings you didn't want browned and keep on lowest heat setting to keep warm.
Cut the biscuits into quarters and scatter 1 to 1 1/3 rolls of the quartered biscuits around the bottom of the greased baking dish ( you want most of the bottom covered but leave small gaps in between for the biscuits to puff up).
Then spread the hamburger/pizza sauce mixture over the biscuits.
Then scatter the remaining biscuits over the sauce mixture.
Bake for 20 minutes then sprinkle all the mozzarella and cheddar cheese on top (I like to layer the cheese a bit). Then cook an additional 10 minutes.
Let stand about 5 minutes before serving. It is wonderful and kids really enjoy it too!
You can play with this recipe a lot as well adding different things you may like on a pizza. In lieu of the ground beef you can also use sausage or you can use half sausage and half ground beef which is great too!
If you use a lot of extra toppings you may need to cook a little longer.