My Momma's Red Beans and Rice
Ingredients for Momma's Red Beans and Rice:
- 2lb smoked sausage,cut into ½” slices
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cans light red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- ¼ lb salt pork (optional)
- 3 cups chopped onion (usually 2 med onions will do)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green onions(or 1 bunch)
- 1 can (28oz.) tomatoes,diced
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 dashes of hot sauce (any more than 3 will make it hot too)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
In a 10 quart (or larger) Dutch oven or cook pot, brown the ground beef with the chopped onion and drain. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the rice. Simmer & stir over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add uncooked rice (stir just enough to cover the rice—if rice falls to the bottom of the pot, it may burn).
Reduce heat, cover & simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
What’s nice about this recipe is that it’s good even if an ingredient or two is omitted. Enjoy!!!Top of Momma's Red Beans and RiceEasy Dinner Ideas Homepage
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Your Quick Dinner Ideas and Recipes.