Homemade Hot Rolls
My dear friend Cathy used to sell her famous homemade hot rolls around town for holidays and special occasions! They were a huge hit, and here you're getting her yeast dinner rolls recipe for free.
Ingredients for Homemade Hot Rolls
- 2 .25 pkgs. active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 1/2 cups white flour OR 3 1/2 cups white flour and 3 cups wheat flour.
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Set aside. Warm 1 cup water, milk, and 1/2 cup margarine just until margarine begins to melt.
- Using a heavy duty electric mixer (a Kitchen Aid Mixer is my preferred) combine sugar, salt, and eggs. Add water, milk and margarine mixture. Cool and add dissolved yeast and flour to the liquid mixture.
- Turn heavy duty mixer to low speed and knead dough until smooth (2-3 minutes).
- Generously coat an extra large mixing bowl with nonstick cooking spray and spoon dough into bowl. Let dough rise in a warm place until it doubles in bulk (Takes approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes)
- Spoon dough onto floured surface and sift a small amount of flour onto top of dough. Knead dough very slightly (6-7 times) so that dough is not sticky. Do not overdo this process!
- Smooth dough out to about 1" thickness and cut with a small biscuit cutter or juice glass. Dip each roll in melted margarine and place rolls in pan.
- Let rise 20 minutes. Bake rolls 14 minutes or until golden brown in a preheated 375 oven. Remove from oven and brush lightly with melted margarine.
Hint: When making rolls I use the paddle to my Kitchen Aid Mixer instead of the dough hook. It mixes the dough up faster and smoother. I bake my rolls in 8"X8" pans and freeze some to serve later!
Cathy's recipes are so good that I know you'll want more!
Click here to find out how to get them!
Top of homemade hot rolls recipe page
Go to Quick and Easy Dinner Homepage